Communication History Overview

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Wed Mar 28 17:22:41 CEST 2007

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia środa, 28 marca 2007, Thomas Wood napisał:
>
>> In addition to the fields that iCalendar gives us (date, time, contact,
>> etc.), we will need some extra encoded information:
>>
>> Entry types
>>   - SMS
>
> - SMS/MMS

Do we treat these separately, or just a special type of "Message" entry?
We could add e-mail as another Message type too.

>>   - Call
>
> With type as 'GSM, VoIP' call?

Yup, if needed. Default should be GSM.

>>   - Voice Message
>
>> Extra Call information
>>   - Duration
>
>>   - Type: Received, Dialled
>>   - Missed flag
>
> I would join them into Received, Dialled, Missed.
> Optionally add "Dialled, not answered on other side".

I guess we could figure out if a call was missed or answered, because
call duration will be 0. Having an extra flag may just help with speed.

>>   - "Read" flag

I should probably explain here, a "Read" call entry means that (for
example) a missed call entry is no longer counted in current missed calls.

>> Extra SMS information
>>   - "Read" flag
>
> - "Delivered" flag (GSM provide delivery raports)

I don't know if delivery reports is something we want to keep in History?

>> The idea is to build this functionality into a new light-weight library
>> that will hide the complexities of libecal. The API for this library
>> will need to be very simple and easy to use, as it will be used in
>> several applications across OpenMoko (contacts, dialer, gsmd).
>
>> Here are some use cases:
>
>> * Add new entry
>> * Remove entry
>> * Mark entry (e.g. SMS or Missed Call) as "read"
>
> * Mark SMS/MMS as delivered (and optionally store datetime of delivery)
>
>> * Search Use Cases
>>    - Find all "unread" missed calls
>>    - Find all "unread" SMS
>
> - find all sent sms/mms
> - find all read sms/mms
>
>>    - Last 10 entries for Person
>>    - All dialled numbers
>
> - All received numbers
> - All missed numbers

Where would these use cases be useful?

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

51 Great Brownings / London / SE21 7HP / UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/