Phone functionality in GUI applications

Nuutti Kotivuori naked at iki.fi
Tue Oct 16 19:04:21 CEST 2007

Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> I don't know d-bus (on my to-do list), just curious, if we would first
> have certain calls statically linked in a certain process, then  in a
> later build move those same calls to another process, would we  break
> backwards compatibility for applications (let's say without
> recompiling those apps)?
> In other words, are the names of processes or such encoded in d-bus or
> is it flexible enough to survive this kind of code move?

Nothing should break. With dbus, you register to provide a well known
name and other processes look for connections which have the well
known name. As long as the names are different, the calling process
will not know whether they are provided by the same process or
different processes.

In this case however, the question was about showing dialogs - and no
dbus communication would be there to take place if PhoneKit does it
itself. Unless ofcourse this is implemented with PhoneKit talking to
itself over dbus, which would be a bit odd.

-- Naked