Phone functionality in GUI applications

Joachim Steiger roh at openmoko.org
Wed Oct 17 13:58:48 CEST 2007

Thomas Seiler wrote:
[...]
> Similar Objects could be implemented for:
>
> org.openmoko.GSMNetwork:
> org.openmoko.Ringer:
> org.openmoko.VoiceAudioRouting:
> org.openmoko.VoiceCall:
> org.openmoko.FaxCall (send and receive Faxes, integrate with CUPS ?)
> org.openmoko.DataCall (CSD Data Call to other Neo or normal modem)
> org.openmoko.Wlan (WLAN Present ? Power On / OFF, select ESSID)
> org.openmoko.GPRS (To set APN, set status)
> org.openmoko.USBNET (To sync?)
> org.openmoko.IPNetwork (General Information of kind of Connection
> org.openmoko.SIP that will be a lot of fun...
> org.openmoko.GPS (last known longitude, latitude, power on / off)
> org.openmoko.Location (more elaborate, higher level (i.e. Home, Work)

please do not overengineer this from the beginning, i think interfaces
should be added when being implemented.

also note that gnome already has a way of handling network interfaces
when it comes to ip connectivity (see
http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/)

i think we should make use of that/extend that functionality before
reinventing the wheel once again (remember, there are wifi with hidden
essid, wpa/wep/wpa2 and similar crap which needs to fit in there)

what i do not wanna see is a 'connectivity-abstraction' which is as
simplified and crippled as on current wince/symbian devices which does
not have the possibility to connect to hidden essid, have automatic
roaming into wifi you already connected to once, remembers wep/wpa keys
etc. so i would leave that whole stuff out for now. first it has to be a
working phone.

i really do NOT wanna discourage anybody, but this just popped into my
mind while reading this.

kind regards

--

roh