[RFC] SMS support

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 04:04:36 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 05/07/07, Petri Aarnio <petri.aarnio at saunalahti.fi> wrote:
> Firstly fast comment on coding of the messages. It is defined in GSM
> spec 03.38.  The coding can be 7-bit, 8-bit or 16-bit.
> 7-bit is used for GSM default character set which includes all most
> significant European languages characters. Almost all ASCII control
> characters are dropped out.
> 8-bit format is originally meant for data messages.
> 16-bit is for UCS-2 coding which is a UNICODE format and thus can be
> used with most languages in the world.
>
> One SMS message lenght can be 140 bytes, which allows 160 7-bit
> charactes and only 70 UCS-2 characters. Normally the phones deal with
> this so that 7-bit character set is the default format and is used when
> the string does not include characters outside of the default GSM
> character set. Otherwise 16-bit UCS-2 format is used.

Thanks for the hints. I was wodering how gsmd/libgsmd should decide on
the coding though, considering that it affects the max. possible
length.

I'll mail a newer patch later.

> I'll get back to the other issues later. But I must say I wonder how is
> it possible that SMS is under construction if the phone is going to be
> on market in 4 days.

Rod is right. And I'm sure shipping with all software functional would
be a big disappointment for the ambitious developers this phone
release is destined to. ;)

Cheers