[RFC] phonebook support

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Wed Mar 28 15:03:11 CEST 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 07:49:40AM -0500, Eric Johnson wrote:
> Harald Welte wrote:
> >Also, stuff like the phonebook needs to be cached inside the daemon to
> >avoid slow SIM card accesses at runtime.
> Don't forget that the SIM may have been updated OTA - it should issue a
> SAT REFRESH to notify the handset about that so I think it can be
> handled by the cache.

Those kinds of things are really hard to test... even if we put the
respective code in place, it's almost imposible to provoke such action
to happe in the network.  Even sophisticated GSM simulators are probably
not capable of doing this, unless they come with a matching SIM...

> I realise this may not be a common occurrence and that you said SAT was
> low priority but I wanted to flag it.
>
> Also working for a SIM vendor you have to understand I have a slightly
> warped perspective about the importance of the SIM.

to us, all the silent, undocumented [not indicated to the user or the AP
software] and magic interaction between the operator and the sim is
frightening.

Ideally, we would have all this under user [or rather user
software/policy] control.

I don't want my telephone to do magic things such as silent SMS or the
like.  It's my telephone, after all.  So if an operator intends to make
my phone do something, the phone should at least ask me if I really
wanted this to happen.

Anyway, all this is something that requires further investigation.  We
now have the ability to alter the firmware of the GSM chipset, so if
we'd decide that more user control needs to happen in this area, we
could at least come up with a technical solution to it.

Cheers,