[RFC] TI Calypso / HTC firmware support

pHilipp Zabel philipp.zabel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 21:04:06 CEST 2007

On 3/28/07, Harald Welte <laforge at openmoko.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 03:44:04PM +0200, pHilipp Zabel wrote:
> > Good. My current implementation is at
> > http://www.handhelds.org/hypermail/kernel-discuss/current/3125.html.
> > As I have next to no experience in that area, I'd be very happy
> > to reimplement that inside some sane framework.
>
> yes.  As usual, my time is limited.  So for the time being, it will
> probably be the two different multiplexes...

Ok, fine. This leaves me wondering how to select the line discipline.
The CGMI/CGMM queries below obviously can't be used until we have the
AT communication channel set up. A command line parameter? Reading
/proc/cpuinfo? Different implementations with similar behaviour using
the same N_GSM ldisc number?

> > >One interesting question is auto-detection.  Is there any sensible
> > >response to manufacturer/model/serial number/... inquiry comands on your
> > >HTC machines?
> >
> > When the device is powered on, I get the following string on the
> > debug/trace channel (0x12):
> > "GSM Version : 1.12.00 G23 Version : 1337.42"
> >
> > On the AT command channel (0x16) I can issue the usual
> > vendor/model/revision queries:
> >
> > >AT+CGMI
> > HTC
> >
> > >AT+CGMM
> > MAGICIAN
> >
> > >AT+CGMR
> > 1.3.3.7
>
> Ok, that is what I was looking for.  Good. (Our original Ti firmware
> image doesn't give reasonable responses, so I was worried HTC might also
> give bogus replies here).

I hope you will be able to give the P1 models some meaningful replies here :)

> So we should actually have 'machine plugin' matching based on the
> CGMI/CGMM responses.
>
> Basically there should be a text file that contains the mapping, like
>
> HTC     MAGICIAN        htc
>
> which gsmd reads at startup, then issues CGMI/CGMM qureies, resolves
> this to 'htc' and tries to dlopen() a machine_htc.so plugin.  This
> plugin then could depend on stuff (symbols/functions) that is exported
> by the vendor_ti plugin.
>
> If you want to work in that area, I would be more than happy :)

Ok, I'll have a look at that.

regards
Philipp