libgsmd-tool, re-use code

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:49:06 CEST 2007

On 23/10/2007, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan at gmail.com> wrote:
> With parts of openmoko/trunk/src/target/gsm/src/util/libgsmd-tool.c, I
> have written an application (to test AT commands on the Neo1973) that
> uses libgsmd API [1].

Great.

> In libgsmd-tool.c, it says "All Rights Reserved" after the copyright
> notice, and before the GPL notice.
>
> I would like to know if I can re-use parts (pin_handler(), pin_init(),
> lgsm_passthrough etc.) of libgsmd-tool.c, retaining the copyright,
> license notice etc. and still release it under GPL?

If there's a GPL notice in a file then you can be sure you can use it
under the terms of GPL, which allows reusing code as one of its main
points. Especially if you retain the original copyright (I don't think
it's necessary here) beside your own copyright then definitely all is
Ok.
HTH,
Andrew