get LAC and gsm network information

pancake pancake at youterm.com
Wed Apr 23 20:56:30 CEST 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:43:25 +0200
pancake <pancake at youterm.com> wrote:

> I wonder how can I get gsm network information using gsmd.
>
> I've been looking a bit on the sources but I didn't find anything
> related to it.
>
> Is this handled by the chip and is hidden to us? Most current phones
> can access this information using the location api in j2me, and it's
> also accessible from symbian.
>
> Can this be done with an AT command?

Sorry for the noise. I found this, but not all commands are implemented.
I'll try it later :)

AT+CREG=2   ; needed to make cgreg? show more info
AT+CGREG?
AT+COPS?    ; +COPS: 0,0,"vodafone UK"
AT+CSQ?     ; Returns the Signal strength value Greater than 15 is GOOd and 10-15 is accepted.
AT+CGSN     ; Return the SIM ID. if Error 22 then not found in EEPROM

On some siemens phones it is possible to:

at^monp
chann rs  dBm MCC MNC BCC  C1  C2
  89  45  -65 234  15   6  39  39
  87  22  -88 234  15   3  16  16
  81  19  -91 234  15   6  13  13
  83  18  -92 234  15   2  12  12
 561   8 -102 234  15   1 -10 -10
  69   7 -103 234  15   7   1   1

OK
at^moni
Serving Cell                                          I Dedicated channel
chann rs  dBm MCC MNC  LAC cell NCC BCC PWR RXLev  C1 I chann TS timAdv PWR  dBm
 Q ChMod
  67  44  -66 234  15 0016 4046   2   2  37  -108  38 I    No connection

OK