[gta02-core] OT: N900

Christopher Friedt chrisfriedt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 23:00:31 CEST 2009

Sorry for posting off-topic, but I know that there are some people on
this list who would probably be interested in this piece of hardware.

I just picked up an article from /. [1] about the Nokia N900, the
successor to the N810, which finally adds phone capabilities!
Apparently there was a lot of speculation / anticippation about this,
but I just heard about it today. The N900 is apparently based on the
OMAP 3430, and still runs a full GNU / Linux stack (Maemo).

That's really great ... but really ... I'm more interested in learning
which 3G chip it's using, and perhaps pairing it with the OMAP 3530
(which is available in non-mass-production quantities) for a new OM
design. Since the N900 has a completely hackable software stack, it's
very likely that the GSM firmware / utilities might also be available.
The 3530 is designed to use PoP (package-on-package) SDRAM / NAND
chips which reduce memory latency and power consumption. It also has a
very powerful and integrated 2D/3D GPU, and video/image/audio codec. I
believe this was discussed on the openmoko-devel mailing list at some
point. TI very graciously provides an example and downloadable files
for the BGA trace layout, which really helps dramatically.