[gta02-core] gta02-core prototypes: distribution and finances

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Fri Aug 28 20:19:13 CEST 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Does this sound reasonable ?

Not particularly liking the idea of paying for a glorious pile of junk,
but I think this process is about as fair as possible.

I'm not confident we'll get orders for 20 boards though.  Does there
come a point where the cost of producing & SMTing extra boards is
worthwhile to reduce the risk of dead boards?  i.e. 15 boards ordered,
and charged at 15+1/5 of the per board cost, all 20 are made etc.  The
first 5 can come out smoking before a paying order doesn't get a board
that powers up.  A slight increase in cost per board, for a reduction in
risk (particularly for folk that only order one board)

If they come out working, we might be able to get that money back from
someone who is otherwise a little risk adverse!

Dave