[gta02-core] PRESS: OpenMoko Layoffs Lead to New Open Hardware Venture

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Tue Jul 21 22:26:48 CEST 2009

Álvaro Lopes wrote:
> Are we so "obsolete" that it's cheaper to hack other devices, are we
> not progressing well, are we [insert some rants and raves here if you
> see feasible] ?

<snip>

> I am missing something here. I wonder if someone can explain me this
> from another point of view besides my own.

I think it's as much the nature of a press-release as anything else -
they always stress (and often exaggerate) the 'upside' of the current
venture.  In UK politics it's nearly universally derided as 'spin'.

This project and gta-next (or whatever that ends up being) are
definitely ambitious, but making steady (if not particularly speedy)
progress.

If I've understood correctly, qi-hardware are designing (and
manufacturing) their own devices, but using as a starting point existing
selling hardware - then re-engineered / improved iteratively.  Similar
to our approach gta02 -> gta02-core, but starting from a different device.
I think we have similar goals, but different paths to getting there.

Maybe soon we'll have hardware from our designs, a manufacturing
partnership, and a press release of our own  :-)  Who knows, qi-hardware
might even want to manufacture and sell it once we've got designs that
work!  :-)

Dave