[gta02-core] Calypso's last dance

Álvaro Lopes alvieboy at alvie.com
Thu Jul 23 11:52:42 CEST 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Furthermore, there is no immediate plan to produce more devices
> that use the Calypso. So if gta02-core uses the Calypso, it may
> well be the last time we see this chipset. This of course raises
> the question how much work we want to put into this, and if we
> couldn't do something more interesting instead.

I'm sure we all do. From the beginning.

> Until recently, we knew no suitable alternative. However, a few
> weeks ago, we discovered a very compact 3G module that would fit
> inside a slightly modified GTA02 case: the GTM501 made by a company
> called Option.
>
> http://www.option.com/en/products/products/modules/gtm501/
>
> As far as I can tell, using the GTM501 instead of the Calypso would
> be relatively easy if we accept that the existing GSM antenna will
> be a poor fit. Specifically, the necessary changes should be:
>
> - addition of a 3.6 V/3 A DC-DC converter

And how are we to get that amount of power ? That's almost 11W. Even at 1.1A we will be unable to charge battery while USB-powered.

Or am I misreading the numbers ?

> So I wouldn't give up on the Calypso just yet, but I will approach
> Option and see what I can achieve. To clarify our position, I've
> prepared the "Disclosure Requisites" whitepaper described in my

What other baseband chips are found in recent devices ? I see infineon has some, but most look like full SoC.

Álvaro