[gta02-core] RFC: Open Source Hardware - Disclosure Requisites

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jul 23 18:12:40 CEST 2009

Dave Ball wrote:
> I think this is great, and very needed!

Thanks !

> I'm torn between "open
> source hardware" and "open hardware".

Yeah, I'm a bit uncertain what name to introduce for this. The
folks at qi-hardware use "Copyleft Hardware", but they tie it to
opening existing designs, which isn't what we're after in the
long run. (And with GTA02 already being partially open, even the
short run is different.)

I put a bias towards "viral" schemes, which in the analogy with
"Open Source Software" isn't required. So I would plead guilty of
a lie of omission ;-)

I also included the open design process, which isn't strictly a
requirement of Open Source.

So it would be good to find an expression that extends the focus
a bit beyond just the license. I actually like "Open Design
Hardware". From that, it follows naturally that the license would
be Open as well, and it explains the need to be able to talk about
the design before it's done.

In fact, "design" could refer to the process as well as the result.
Sometimes, ambiguities are good :-)