[gta02-core] Calypso's last dance

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Fri Jul 24 02:56:35 CEST 2009

Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Sure. I would not even start to design for it without the docs. Maybe they also
> have other interfaces you could use.

Sure, the proper design work will be done after getting a look at the
docs, and working out if the device really will work for us.  From the
public info and brief contact we've had with option it looks like there
is a good chance of making it work (and in the current case etc.) - if
we can reach an agreement on our openness needs.

There's quite a few GSM modules out there, but most of them seem to have
the same show stopper for us - size.

A long way to go with this, but the calypso has it's own problems too.
We're currently stalled on the modem front because we can't get TI's
docs or reuse the existing design - and even if we could, the part is
EOL and v. difficult to get hold of.  My feeling is that if we _can_ use
the option it'll both work around the calypso problems, and give us a
more interesting device (3g).

If we want to do 3G for whatever comes after -core, prototyping with
this device now will give us some experience, and give some of the guys
currently producing software a headstart in working out how to best use
the extra functionality.

Calypso RIP (hopefully)

Dave