[gta02-core] Calypso's last dance

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Fri Jul 24 13:27:54 CEST 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Dave Ball wrote:
>
>> Is this because it won't be matched to the option module, because of
>> something different needed for '3G' (but 2G will be fine), or
>> because of options funky diversity receiver? (or something else)?
>>

> 3G goes up to 2100 MHz. I don't know if there are other parameters
> that affect the antenna, but there might be. I don't know if antenna
> diversity is an option we should consider.

So that would suggest to me (as a non-RF expert) that current 2G
performance would likely be the same as it is at the moment, but we
probably won't get the 3G signal strengths we might with a new antenna.

Sounds like a sensible compromise to me (redesigning the antenna is
probably best done alongside changing the case - i.e. not now).  IIRC
the second antenna on the Option is used for recieve only, and is
optional - so probably not something to worry with for the time being.

Dave