[gta02-core] opening up TI (was: Calypso's last dance)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 29 13:53:51 CEST 2009

Doug Jones wrote:
> I have no contacts at TI, but I do know there are other open source
> projects that are trying to pry TI open.

Good !

> Yes, that's a TI engineer in there, answering questions in open
> forum, and saying things that make me hopeful.

Yes, that's a good sign. But it doesn't necessarily mean that their
mobile telephony business unit will be that open as well.

Traditionally, information about CPUs and "standard" peripherals
is generally communicated openly, while telecommunication
technology is usually kept secret, also due to regulatory
concerns. So it's a much bigger step for TI to open information
about the Calypso than to open information about, say, a DSP.

> Rather than having every embedded open source project besiege TI
> with their own requests, would it not be better to join forces?

If there is a contact at TI that also reaches into the telecom
side of the company, that would be a good idea, yes.

Who should be approached with such a query ?