[gta02-core] IO Schematics

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk
Fri Jul 31 17:35:26 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:40:14PM +0100, Dave Ball wrote:

> Your patch didn't apply cleanly after my recent io.sch changes, so I
> ended up redrawing it largely as you had.  Committed as revision 5340.
>
> I spaced the components a little more to have 200mm of plain wire
> between any joint (I'll try to pull together the scattered bits of style
> guide we've adopted soon - unless someone beats me to it), and ended up
> tweaking it a little to my preference...

   I like it better because VB/GND are placed directly above/below the
intended current path and D4601/D4603 no longer look like a series
connection.

>  Not sure if spliting the  grounds is more clear or less than how you had it?

   I prefer them connected in a case like this. D4602 and C4601 are not
unrelated to the other 46xx components; in fact, we're even supposed to
place them close to the other 46xx components on the PCB. When the
schematics show an actual wire connecting the GND connected terminals, it
provides me with a visual cue that they are connected. It also visually
groups the components, almost as if you'd drawn a box around them. And
importantly, we need not cross any wires to connect the grounds.

   An example of a much different preference is sheet 7 of the OM GTA02
schematics. Here the grounds have been split whenever possible (i.e. always)
but at least they tend to be neatly aligned. You did not align the
C4601/D4602 ground with those of Q4601 and D4601.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen