[gta02-core] ECN0001 comments+patch on SPI

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Sep 4 14:48:17 CEST 2009

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
>    Hardware SPI likely wasn't designed with the dual protocol accelerometers
> in mind. IIRC there's a comment in arch/arm/mach-s3c2442/mach-gta02.c about
> the workaround needed to keep the I2C-mode accelerometer from responding.

What I described happened on SDIO in SPI mode, so it's a genuine 2442
SPI hardwre problem, not related to the accelerometer's SPI/I2C mode.

Whether the SPI vs. I2C logic could actually misfire on the
"deselected" accelerometer is something we never fully analyzed.
SDI/SDA should only change if SPC/SCL is low, so this would prevent
the I2C transceiver from ever seeing a START condition.

>    I suppose reception could be realigned by prepending a dummy bit to the
> bit stream or by removing the first 7 bits. A D-flipflop or two could do
> the former I think.

Ah, interesting idea. If the shift is in the right direction (I think
it is) and happens all the time (I didn't test this), adding a
software-generated SPI clock pulse may indeed help.

>    Do we know if the receive misalignment is triggered by the 12 MHz
> frequency or by the clock divider to get 12 MHz from 50 MHz PCLK? Since
> we'll be using 66 MHz PCLK in gta02-core, it would be nice to know.

All my tests were done on a GTA02. I did't try a different PCLK.
You're right, depending on what actually causes the problem inside
the 2442, how you divide the clock may make a difference.

Okay, so we have some more ideas for getting that beast faster than
12 MHz in gta02-core. Thanks !