[gta02-core] ECN0044: Current rating of backlight LED inductor (L1704)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Apr 3 13:47:22 CEST 2010

?lvaro Lopes wrote:
> But, I'd go for 1210 package. It's better be on the safe side, and we
> ought to have enough room for it. OR, we can (can we?) lay out both,
> use the smaller one,
> and then if we run into problems, do a little of SMD soldering magic.

The larger one is 1210, the smaller 0805. The gap between the pads
of 1210 is 2.0 mm. The long side of 0805 is 2.0 mm. So yes,
hand-soldering a 0805 onto a 1210 pad should work fine.

I've changed the footprint to 1210 and also added the 1210 footprint
to stdpass.fpd

Oh, and I did some rough calculation on the power saving by using an
inductor with lower resistance, but it's quite low, less than 1%.