[gta02-core] Calypso chip

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 21 14:31:53 CET 2010

Jonathan Lussier wrote:
> not sure if this is the right place to post this - I'm looking for
> information on the Calypso chip

That may be increasingly difficult. Calypso is very obsolete
now and I would consider it an unsafe choice for new designs.

> and possible (more modern) replacements
[...]
> Roundsolutions.com has a GSM
> chip solution but without the switching.

There are a few GSM and also some UMTS modules. Telit (distributed
by Round Solutions an others) is one such choice. Telit are very
open, with quite detailed technical documentation readily available
for download.

Other choices include Cinterion and Option, the latter with a very
small 3G module. There are also cheap modules that are popular in
the far east. If you don't care too much about space, a  potentially
interesting module would be the Simcom SIM5210, with quad-band GSM
and single-band (2.1 GHz) UMTS.

I don't know of any modules that combine WLAN and telephony.