[gta02-core] project status

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Jan 22 19:26:29 CET 2010

Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> Is there an estimated date gta02 will be manufactured
> in a small beta run?

My current estimate for the SMT run would be around the beginning of
April.

Here are the next steps:

- express the BOM in terms of FIC's stock and derive a "shopping list"
  from it. I'm working on this and hope to have it ready for review
  early next week.

- then it will take some time until the components will be shipped. A
  deadline there is Chinese New Year (that's when the whole country
  shuts down for a while.)

- meanwhile, we can work on replacing the components we know will be
  missing.

- once the components ship, we'll get the final manifest. There's the
  possibility that further components may be missing, e.g., if there
  is a mismatch between inventory and stock.

- once we have all this information, we can finialize the schematics
  and, finally, do the layout. We can also order all replacement
  components and components we've already changed.

- once the layout is done, including review, it will take about one
  or two weeks to make the PCBs and have them delivered.

- the SMT date depends mainly on when people have time and when the
  line is available.

By the way, just to clarify: there's no plan to make more than those
~20 devices of gta02-core. For a design intended for production in
larger quantities, one should update several subsystems, among them
CPU, GPS, and WLAN.