[gta02-core] A new hardware

Muthu Subramanian K muthusuba at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 03:47:48 CET 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Dave Ball <openmoko at underhand.org> wrote:

> Hi Muthu,
>
> Slightly longer answer:
> Openmoko released lots of data about the freerunner (schematics, CAD files
> etc.), but not all the parts needed for derivative manufacture (BOM, Gerbers
> etc.).  Following their decision to stop making phones, we (gta02-core) have
> started producing fully open designs for a minor improvement of the gta02-a7
> hardware.
>
> We are planning to build quite a large number. But as you would have
guessed we are still in prestudy phase - checking out the possibilities,
alternatives etc. But we are really keen on gta02

> This design is not yet complete, but with some small changes could possibly
> deliver what you're after.  Many parts used in the gta02 design are now
> difficult to source - such as the cpu and GSM chipset. Our project is based
> around the kind donation from openmoko of some remaining parts from their
> production run, and other parts we can source in one-off quantities.  To
> produce more than the 20 we hope to build will likely mean upgrading some
> components to devices that can be easily sourced in the needed quantities,
> but this could then result in an improved device you could mass produce.
>

> Our project does not include improving the freerunner case - we don't have
> the resources to change the case ourselves, but that wouldn't stop you doing
> so yourself.

That should not be an issue...we would love to contribute back (if we are
doing any kind of improvements/modifications - h/w, s/w, case...)

> It sounds as though GTA02-core could certainly provide a good starting
> point for you.  What time frame and manufacture scale are you considering?

As I already said, we are in prestudy phase so it might be difficult to tell
the time frame. But scale wise we are looking at low margins-high volumes
and medium margins. We are not looking at the premium segment - (in short)
Since its Indian markets we don't have the resources to compete with the
bigger players.

> Dave
>
> Thanks!
Muthu Subramanian