[gta02-core] wanted: cashier for gta02-core

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Mar 25 21:11:50 CET 2010

About a year ago, over on the Gta03 list, there was considerable
discussion on forms of organization for an entity to run a more
community-oriented effort towards making the next phone.

Nothing concrete came out of this, but we identified some areas
where such an entity would be useful. One of them was the
handling of finances, particularly donations.

Now, gta02-core has been offered donations in the past, and more
recently. So far, I haven't acted on these offers, and this isn't
nice.

One reason for me dithering is that I don't have any experience
with handling transactions on behalf of an organization, and I'm
a bit concerned that this may cause difficulties with the taxman,
particularly given how such things go in Argentina.

The most correct thing to do would probably for me to set up an
NGO here in Argentina, then open an account in the name of that
NGO, and handle the transfers through this account. I would
expect all this to take a lot of time and running around.

Worse yet, international transactions out of an account in
Argentina can be subject to quite a bit of bureaucracy even under
the best of circumstances, so that would be a further obstacle.

For these reasons, I would prefer if someone who has some
experience with this kind of things and their dos and donts would
take care of the finances of the project. This would involve
receiving donations, payment for prototypes, and making payments
for component orders.

If nobody steps up, I'll do it myself, but this is a task I'd
much rather see in the hands of someone who knows what he or she
is doing.