[gta02-core] components to research

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Mar 26 18:42:35 CET 2010

For the component search, I'd suggest to start by trying to locate
sources for the major chips. Knowing one or more places that sell
these chips won't preclude us from politely asking for samples, but
it would give us the comfort of having a fallback solution if we're
rejected or if negotiations draw out for too long.

Once this groundwork is done, we can handle all the "birdseed" that
makes the BOM look intimidating but usually isn't much of a problem.

Here are the biggest critters:

- CPU and memory MCP, Samsung, SC32442B54

- PMU, NXP, PCF50633HN/04/N3,5

- Audio codec, Wolfson, WM8753LGEFL

- u-blox 4 GPS chipset, ATR0635-7KQY and ATR0610-PQQ

- Bluetooth Module, Delta, DFBM-CS320-FI1R

- WLAN Module, Accton, WM3236AQ

- LCD Module, Toppoly, TD028TTEC1
  Toppoly is now apparently CHIMEI InnoLux,
  They may still trade as Toppoly or TPO

To be viable, a source should be able to indicate stock availability
and/or lead time, and the price for 20 units. Ideally, they would
provide this information without having to call/mail, but many
distributors prefer to surround their catalog with a veil of secrecy.

If you find something, please post to the list or on #gta02-core.

- Werner