Welcome

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Apr 7 18:02:24 CEST 2009

Hi all there,

maybe, we also should set up a sort of "manifest" that is posted
automatically every 2 weeks or so.

telling:
* what the list is good for
* what the targets are
* how this project works
* some links to important information (archives, wiki, status of
project, links to mails on other threads)

So let's start with my ideas (some of them were already posted on the
community list):

I have also been thinking for a while in the following direction:
making the development (and maybe production) of the GTA03 a community
activity. Supported and sponsored by individuals and companies who are
interested in the results.

On one hand HW development needs a clear and close communication
between people. On the other hand it needs a large number of
supporters who keep their fingers out until they are asked. But
synchronizing activities is much more difficult than with SW (using
SVN or GIT).

What we IMHO therefore need is:

* a core team that works (at least semi-)professionally on it. I think
the community is large enough to provide enough members with all
expertise that is required (from mechanics over battery to RF etc.).
* a clear milestone plan as in every successful hardware development
project
* a specification freeze at some point in the milestone plan
* openness to ask for help into the community to judge between several
similar technical solutions for the same requirement
* funding of the project organization (e.g. we can set up a community
funds or society or association or however the legal form has to be
choosen). Funding levels could start at 5€ per year for students and
go upwards for individuals and companies. And special services (e.g.
managing the production of 100 customized units) could even provide
more funding for the organization.

A word to all those who think Hardware can not be developed by a
community should take a look at:

	http://www.amsat.org/

Building, launching and operating not only 1 but approx. 50 satellites
in the past 30 years is definitively more complex than building an
open smartphone.

One more thought about voting and democracy.

	A company can't take decisions on a democratic base. The other
extreme, a pure community where every decision is done by acclamation
or voting doesn't work either.

So we should have some elected decision board to take design decisions
and poll the community for their requirements - but not decisions. If
the board fails, the community can elect another one. This all comes
back to an official public "society"/"association" with bylaws where
individuals and companies can become members under well defined rules.

Openmoko, Inc. must play a very important role in this, but not be the
only one to organize and handle money and funds. I am sure there are
many companies represented on the community lists who can all do only
pieces (e.g. building ABS plastics from CAD) but I am sure all
required experiences are available.

Nikolaus