Welcome

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Apr 16 18:49:51 CEST 2009

Am Do  16. April 2009 schrieb Gerald A:
> I know at the prototype stage you
> are looking at limited yields and so forth, but from what I've gleaned out
> of the conversation it might be possible if one of those protos turns out to
> be business infeasible we could see if community hardware guys could re-work
> it into something better?
>
> My line of thought here is having more options to choose from is better,
> although everyone has to understand that "working" doesn't mean "viable to
> be mass produced".

Actually OM was about to EE a device codename GTA04(I) maybe 12months ago,
then when it became obvious it's some duty and some time to finish the task
of creating a whole new better design, OM downgraded to GTA03(II) which was
meant to be a very cautious improvement based on GTA02. (Later Steve and I
started work on a different GTA04(II), but that's a completely different
story) Anyway we kept the case (ID) of GTA04(I) for GTA03(II). Eventually it
came down out of blue sky to whole OM EE stuff GTA03 is now using 6410
instead of 2442. We restarted development again. We kept the ID.
Around 2008Dec there were first (semi)working prototypes(!), but they had some
minor difficulties with stacking of all the antennae. This made ME (Tully)
suggest a minimal change in ID. We kept ID, we kicked WLAN, GPS... dunno what
else instead. We restarted EE.

Now we are about to discuss how to cram all the stuff already there incl
schematics and all into a GTA02 case which never will work anyway as we
needed some mods to the case no matter how hard we'll try to do the whole job
of last 12 months once more. The big mistake hs been and still is trying to
do EE for a sacrosanct ID that's not taking care whatsever about EE
prerequisites.

I'm really puzzled why we (OM that is) don't just publish the schem as of
2008DEC (before crippling) and start our discussion from there, instead of
thinking about doing the whole job (and same mistakes) once again.
It wasn't a big deal to finally get out GTA02 schem, once OM made up their
mind. I could do same job for GTA03 schematics as well, wouldn't even need to
visit TPE this time.

my 2 cents
jOERG