Welcome

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Apr 18 19:23:03 CEST 2009

Am 14.04.2009 um 05:16 schrieb Steve Mosher:

> Werner Almesberger wrote:
>> Steve Mosher wrote:
>>> 1. Target market selection ( who is the customer)
>>> 2. MRD ( what are their needs)
>>> 3. Engineering Spec. ( designs a-n that meet the MRD)
>>> 4. Business plan review. (budgets and ROI)
>>> 5. Operations review. ( can we produce it)
>>> 6. Continue or return to step 1,2,3,4 depending on failure mode.
>>>
>>> ha I just turned it into software. GTA03 was stuck in an endless
>>> loop
>>> Cnt-alt-del.
>>
>> Hehe ;-) There are some feedback loops there, though. Also, you
>> sometimes can't close an issue before later, simply because the
>> negotiations or some tricky engineering problem take more time
>> than the schedule would like. It's all calculated risks ...
> Ya, I think rapid convergence in 1-5 is one aspect of operational
> effiency that is underated. How quickly can a team CLOSE on a design
> that is
>
>   A) buildable
>   B) supportable
>   C) sellable
>   D) profitable.
>

>>> 7. archetecture and implementation spec
>>> 8. theory of operations.
>>> 9. Design.
>>> 10. Layout.
>>> 11. Prototype
>>> 12. EVT
>>> 13. DVT
>>
>> I wouldn't break it down like this - there are several prototypes in
>> EVT and generally also in DVT, all of them at least with schematics,
>> BOM, and layout changes.
> yes I know that werner. I'm just trying to characterize it at my high
> level. you can get stuck on step 11 for weeks.. even have to resort to
> CNT/ALT/DEL. But I would always start with a Nominal plan.. eg 2-3
> protos, Same in EVT, and 2 in DVT, 2 in DVT.

In one of my previous companies we did have a reference project plan
with approx. 18-24 months for all phases. 1/3 for what you would call
Phase 1-6, 1/3 for 7-11, 1/3 for 12-14.

Well, to be honest, it even did run a little differently. A (hardware)
prototype was already part of 1. The critical path was ordering the
plastics moulds and ROM masks (yes - no reflashing possible!).