Removing Glamo from GTA02 (Was: Welcome)

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at sygehus.dk
Mon Apr 20 03:53:41 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:35:33PM -0700, Steve Mosher wrote:

> Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
>>    So the remaining question: What is holding back the "GTA02.1"? Lower WLAN
>> speed? Difficulty pricing the new device? Wanting to get rid of the
>> inventory of Glamos? Wanting to get rid of the NOR chip also while we are at
>> it? In addition to s/Calypso/MC75i/? No management type around to tell
>> engineering to "just get the blasted thing out of the door"? ;-)
>
>     Wlan Speed was raised as an issue.

   It matters if you actually get more than 12 Mbits/s at the link level and
you're just transferring files to/from the SD card or you NFS mount your
disks across WLAN. I know someone requested that andy-tracking kernel's
default config have nfs root support compiled in. On the other hand, you'll
be hard pushed to e.g. encode or decode video at those speeds I think, and
12 MBits/s vs. 54 Mbit/s doesn't matter for web browsing, reading your
email, chat forums and the like.

>     no problem in pricing. it costs less, I'd charge more.

   Yes, there's a need to create a possibility of lowering the price when
the GTA03 comes out, such that the GTA03 can sell at the same price as the
GTA02 did when it was released. When I say GTA03 here, I'm thinking of a
device targetting basicly the same users as the GTA02 did when it was
released, but where engineering has been allowed to make major changes so as
to follow the advances in hardware.

>     NOR..always came up to complicate the decision.
>     Calypso support and longevity as werner notes was always
>      a question mark

   My view: A NOR-less, but still unbrickable, solution just won't be ready
in time for a "GTA02.1" release, see you in "GTA02.2". Same thing with
s/Calypso/MC75i/. You just couldn't have a prototype with that in two weeks
from now.

   When do you want to release a "GTA02.1"? How many "GTA02.x" do you want
to release before a GTA03 (as defined above)?

>     Glamo inventory not an issue.
>
>     On the management issue the operative question was usually
>     how many can you sell and when to whom.

   I think largely the same people who bought a GTA01 or GTA02. If you plan
to sell both GTA02 and "GTA02.1" at the same time, the latter will have
faster user interface, play those YouTube videos better, so go figure which
one the majority will go for, all else being equal.

   As to how many you need to sell for the Glamoectomy to be profitable, you
have the numbers to do the math while I don't.

   Yes, I forgot that you need to also modify the factory test rig for the
Glamo free device. I don't know what's in it.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen