Welcome

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon Apr 20 10:00:29 CEST 2009

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> Besides questioning the rationale of the whole approach still, I'd anyway not
> be too optimistic wrt calypso, if we keep in mind #1024 e.g.

It depends on the goal. If the goal is to test-drive the process, #1024
is irrelevant. In fact, even putting the Calypso there at all would be
of limited interest. If the goal is to make something that could become
a product, then things like #1024 are very relevant.

> One word for clarity: GERBER is *useless* as you can't reasonably edit them.
> It's all about project files. How would you implement any change in schem to
> gerber?

Again, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to have the
prototype as quickly and with as little risk as possibly, then you have
to use the proprietary tools Openmoko used and work on the project files.

If you want to switch to a more open environment, then you need to change
tools. Gebers can then be quite useful as a reference when redoing RF
things and to verify component placement. In theory, the PADS project
files could also be useful in this scenario, provided that you have the
tools to actually access them.

- Werner