Project files management (was Re: Welcome)

Lothar Behrens lothar.behrens at lollisoft.de
Mon Apr 20 10:42:59 CEST 2009

Am 20.04.2009 um 09:31 schrieb Joerg Reisenweber:

> Am Mo  20. April 2009 schrieb Werner Almesberger:
>> Steve Mosher wrote:
>>> 1. Define a very simple project: galmoectomy.
>>
>> Glamectomy is simple. Getting the patient under the scalpel somewhat
>> harder :)
>>
>>> 2. Licence the Gerber to an organization that runs the project.
>>
>> Yes, access to the Gerbers (or better) would be a prerequisite,
>> particularly for the RF parts. Have you run this past Sean ? I
>> could imagine GPS and particularly Calypso to be problematic.
>>
>> Using the MC75 would elegantly sidestep the Calypso issues, but
>> add complexity elsewhere, particularly on the mechanical side.
>>
>> Considering that this would be a "test balloon", one could of
>> course just drop certain troublesome subsystems, particularly
>> those where nothing is supposed to change, i.e., GPS and
>> Calypso, what a lucky coincidence :-)
>
> Besides questioning the rationale of the whole approach still, I'd
> anyway not
> be too optimistic wrt calypso, if we keep in mind #1024 e.g.
>
> One word for clarity: GERBER is *useless* as you can't reasonably
> edit them.
> It's all about project files. How would you implement any change in
> schem to
> gerber? Edit the traces', vias', component placements' description
> by hand to
> represent the changed schematics?
> If you were to edit a large document, you wouldn't start the job by
> looking to
> the postscript-file ready for transfer to printer. Same with gerber,
> it's
> just pcb-"printer's" postscript.

I think this is true. Working on GERBER files would be bad except you
have to correct one or two wires :-)

But I have another issue I ran in a company:

The company handled that with a schematics file and board file for
each version. Adding those
files to a version control system is a nightmare, but I tend to argue
to use version control systems.

The company made the error to make backups to another directory, thus
the number of project files
are much more than the existing versions.

I think, when publishing files only this will become the same. Using
PDF files for reference only is no problem, but ...

How do you manage versions of boards and schematics?

Could board names or schematic names (version included) renamed
without renaming the files (CVS/SVN will be a trouble)?
(GTA02/GTA02.1/GTA02.2/...)

How do you manage the feedback (subprojects) of schematic changes,
when done in different files (copies)?
(That was the problem in the company. 'Where was the change for this
customer, ehh that issue?')

Lothar