Project files management (was Re: Welcome)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon Apr 20 16:55:45 CEST 2009

Lothar Behrens wrote:
> The company handled that with a schematics file and board file for
> each version. Adding those
> files to a version control system is a nightmare, but I tend to argue
> to use version control systems.

One advantage of using a text-based format for EDA-specific files
would be that SVN and friends wouldn't choke on them :-)

You would still need some means to highlight changes in the
graphical representation, though.

> How do you manage the feedback (subprojects) of schematic changes,
> when done in different files (copies)?

Hmm, isn't this basically asking for the ability to break down
a project into components (e.g., for the schematics, per sheet)
that live in separate files ?

This doesn't sound impossible to do.

- Werner