Some questions I always wanted to ask

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 21 13:15:53 CEST 2009

Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> ok. glamo i think mostly came in because people wanted wifi. wifi needed a new
> sdio line

Hmm, I don't remember SDIO being much of a consideration when picking
the Glamo. It was nice to find that it came with an MMC/SD port, sure,
but that wasn't the deciding factor.

The whole "graphics accelerator" story started with the poor graphics
performance of GTA01 that was caused by a very damanding GUI combined
with weak hardware. Simplifying the GUI (which in the end has happened
anyway) would have solved most of the problem, but this situation also
left the impression that hardware needed improving as well.

Another thing that went wrong was that X driver development started
only very late in the project, so we didn't really know there was more
amiss than just a lack of optimization.

I think there are mainly two lessons to learn from this:

- don't be shy about rejecting things that cause too much trouble. We
  could have applied that twice, to the GUI and then to the Glamo.

- start trying to integrate early

What doesn't kill you ... gives you stuff to write about ;-)

- Werner