Project files management (was Re: Welcome)

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 12:04:50 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Werner Almesberger <werner at openmoko.org> wrote:
> Excellent ! A first step could be to start making the components
> for the schematics. This initially only needs coordination of who
> does what, and a little synchronization on style.
>
> Maybe start with the larger chips. Of these we have:
>
> - CPU, S3C2442B MSP54 (U1501)
> - PMU, PCF50633HN/04/N3 (U1701)
> - DRAM, K4M51323PC-D (U2201)
> - Codec, WM8753LGEFL (U3001)
> - Accelerometer, LIS302DL (U7801)
> - Boost converter, AAT1275IRN (U4904)

Hi!

Last time I used KiCAD (about a half year ago) it was really a PITA to
share some components between
multiple computer. I was designing a really simple circuit at home and
at work. At home I have linux
and at work I had windows.

When I created two components at home and at work too, merging the two
component into a
 final database was really obstacle (altough I do not even remember
how I resolved it).

My main problem is, in KiCAD the components can not be in separate
files, so extracting
a component from a database and merging into the final one, is not
easy at all (if possible).

Do you have a workflow how to do it?

But if you model a component in KiCAD, and document it, I can model an
another one in turn;)

My another problem was with KiCAD, that  when I routed all my
components and I had the pcb traces, after
that placing a component a little bit away, was really a pain in the
ass. I moved the component, deleted all
pcb traces, and I recreated it. It is a lot of work.

I was looking into the schematic pdfs, and I couldnt find any page
where the pcb traces are shown.
I found only the component placements. Do such pdf exist? (where I can
see the traces of each layer)

Best regards,
 Laszlo