New Life in Openmoko Phones

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue May 19 21:35:50 CEST 2009

Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> Q1) So, OpenMoko has not committed to building the 10-20 protos?

No, and Openmoko wasn't actually asked for such a commitment, as
it would not fit with the current focus of Openmoko. If Openmoko
or some other company might be interested at some point in time
to produce devices based on gta02-core, I can't predict.

I expect that PCB and SMT are within the reach of many a hobbyist's
budget. If we can find sponsors who can contribute money or
services, that would of course make things even easier.

> Q2) What is design goal? a simple clean up & re-do of GTA02 (less Glamo...)
>      in an open source hardware context?

Yes, that's basically the idea. I wouldn't even consider the
cleanup per se as such important, but since we're redoing things
anyway, we wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to right a few
wrongs.

> Q3) What is role of OpenMoko organization now? Sell remaining GTA02s?

As far as I know, Openmoko is selling GTA02s and, besides that,
concentrating on the "project B". Openmoko is friendly towards the
gta02-core project, and several people at Openmoko are trying to
help us within their means.

- Werner