Y-cable and USB-OTG: mutually exclusive

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 29 15:33:21 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger schrieb:
> And people will plug in a lot nastier stuff as well ...
>
> With USB, you at least know that it'll be roughly 5V, DC, not too evil
> spikes, polarity is right, etc.

Ahh, I can cope with *this*, as long as we don't need these wimpy chips
for those USB-tricks, which are breaking down at 6.5V AMR.
Look at old Nokia phones, they tell you "low charger voltage", "high
charger voltage", "charger problem"... :-). I hooked mine up to 12V
accidentally, whereas it needs 4.5~5.0 --> "hey dude! check this damn
charger!", NO smoke like on NEO.
Just needs a good FET, maybe a Littelfuse, schottky and some A/D. Here
we don't care about any loss, that's main power, we got plenty of it.
More solid solution, simpler, better... ;-)

/j