USB-OVP

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Fri Aug 29 14:29:20 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> What I like though is the "Be conservative in what you do" part of it.
> Because we have not seen failures in the field from GTA02 arrangements,
> I am having a hard time accepting we need to change anything from proven
> GTA02 situation.  If someone can actually show that GTA02 style
> arrangement leads to product failure in normal circumstances then it
> makes it clear we need to do better.  But it seems thousands of users
> are proving it's robust enough already.  Why add reverse voltage
> protection when nobody seems to have reversed the voltage on their USB
> connector to date?

I have two GTA01's that are dead due to 12V being applied to the power
supply of an upstream USB hub instead of 5V ...

Of course, this was in a test rig scenario, with 5V and 12V both
available on a serial-remote-controlled relay box powering the devices,
so perhaps that doesn't count as "normal circumstances" (but then
perhaps it is normal for a phone like this ...).

-- Rod