USB host mode

Andy Burns openmoko.org at adslpipe.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 16:04:56 CEST 2008

I have a potential application for the NeoRunner, I understand the USB
port is switchable to host mode, I'm interested in using this to
interface to a USB barcode scanner.

The application would need to run for a whole working day, so I don't
think it is feasible on battery alone, however I wondered if it would be
possible to simultaneously use the USB port in host mode *and*
power/charge the NeoRunner (a 12V cigarette-lighter to 5V USB charger
could be used)

I've seen the discussion last month about the so called "Y-Cable" which
would be an acceptable method. Even the customised external USB hub
would be acceptable, as this would be a dedicated application.

Was there any conclusion on whether the Y-Cable is feasible for the
NeoRunner, or was it discussing a possible solution for a future
hardware generation?

Thanks.