Y-cable and USB-OTG: mutually exclusive / the four connectivity solutions

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu May 1 12:19:46 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> This is for the 500mA question?  Dunno yet, there can be pins on FTDI
> that change state under this circumstance.

There is :) Pin 41, PWREN# (nPWREN in Openmoko terminology).

> I have a scheme for
> detecting charger insertion though and that is what is critical.

Ah, that sounds interesting. Have you figured out a way to detect
shorted D+/D- ?

> | to have a only 'dumb power' and 'jtag' port would be somehow missing the
> | point. especially when its behind a flap with screws.
>
> That's what we try to clear up...

In use cases where you need external power while on the go with USB,
you probably wouldn't want to have to disassemble your Neo all the
time. E.g., I think "backup to external storage" would be a plausible
use case.

Also, how could an "internal" receptacle be placed such that no crazy
mechanics are needed and the plug doesn't interfere with anything
else ?

- Werner