Y-cable reinvented - for USB-OTG

Brad Midgley bmidgley at gmail.com
Sat May 17 20:30:28 CEST 2008

Joerg

>> where do you find a 5-conductor cable connected to a mini usb plug? I
>> had to open the connector to get at the id pin for something similar.
>> The result is ugly and prone to fall apart.
>
> YEP, that's a problem. :-/

fwiw, I opened up a usb hub that has a mini-usb uplink port. I rewired
the mini-usb from the inside of the hub so it would push 5v upstream
to the neo on the +5v line. This sort of simulates the original
y-cable solution. I could also rewire the id from inside the hub to
push power onto the ID pin per the new proposal... but again there is
no mini-usb male-male cable out there that carries all 5 conductors :(

the resulting hub is dangerous of course to regular gear, but it's
interesting to tinker with.

strangely, even though I'm using the custom usb cable that ostensibly
has the resistor in it, the neo doesn't switch to fastcharge without
tinkering.

on the plus side, I get a 3g bluetooth access point with this setup.
(wifi AP would be nice too if I could find hardware/drivers to do it)

--
Brad