Adding addtitional Sensors to Openmoko

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Tue Oct 7 01:16:19 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> Michael Tansella wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we want to create an additional Board which includes some sensors bundled with
>> a Microcontroller. What do you think is the easiest way to connect it with
>> the Openmoko. Can we use an UART Port, if yes, what's the best way to get
>> access to it?
>> AFAIK we have 3 UART Ports available. One is used for GSM Modem one for GPS
>> and one for Console.

Why not use Arduino? Very well supported, fully open source, huge
community, very inexpensive, and well supported in Linux.

It uses USB which I understand you don't like, but again, all of that
support already exists in Linux so you wouldn't have to write much
(any?) new code.

I think some people on the community list have already reported
connecting Arduino to Openmoko.

Michael