GSM-noise "buzz" issue

Angus Ainslie angus.ainslie at
Thu Oct 30 15:34:47 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at>wrote:

> Attaching the bead is *not* the fix exactly, cutting the connection from
> JK4401:4 to coppertrace is considered the fix.

 I cut the connection between pin 4 and its pad. The bead is now in series
between the pad and the spring that used to be JK4401:4.

> Anyway it seems you tried to achieve this by cutting the contact from
> JK4401
> (your first picture). Alas it's not clear if you correctly isolated
> pin4-pad
> on PCB, so to me it looks like you soldered the bead on the pin4-pad and
> maybe you just shorted the tiny gap between PCB-pad and the metal-stub
> where
> you cut off pin4-contact on JK4401, while soldering the bead.

No there is no direct connection between pad 4 and the connector.

> Cutting the contact sure is a good thing, anyway I recommend to isolate
> pin4
> PCB-pad by some plastic, so it is securely NC and in some distance to
> JK4401:4 metal spring. (see:
> Then do first test to find buzz is gone.

That's effectively what I did.  I attached teflon tape to the bottom of the
connector to isolate it. The buzz is still present.

> Then place bead to pad of R4404 NC, or even piggyback it to C4405, and
> connect
> to upper golden contact of JK4401, above pin4. (Please note you need the
> bead
> only for hs mic function, which may still be broken when using it during
> RF activity)

Right now I what to get rid of the buzz ( I'm going to attempt the A7 bodge
) and have the connector reattached so I can try and dump the GSM firmware.

Angus Ainslie