GTA04 SoC/CPU and LCD size

Pritam Ghanghas lists4pghanghas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 17:40:25 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Tomasz Czapiewski <xeros at irc.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been looking at the Samsung mobile CPUs/SoC list and then I've
> searched the web for something simmilar/better...
> And I've found OMAP 3530 which is used by BeagleBoard.
> By reading the specification of the Samsung S3C6410
> http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productList.do?fmly_id=229
> and TI OMAP 3530 http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/omap3530.html
> I've got impression that OMAP application processor is a lot better
> when it comes to the speed and architecture than
> Samsung S3C6410 and it's already in production on BeagleBoard ( Linux
> based minimal size board - www.beagleboard.org ).
> Power consumption should be simmilar to Samsung SoC.
>
> Was it (TI OMAP 3530) already considered for GTA04 or not?
> Could someone tell me why not use it in GTA04?
>
> I've bought GTA02 and after few days I've sold it because I need more
> powerfull mobile device and now I'm (and many other people are) targetting
> at GTA04.
>
> The second suggestion - a bigger display/touchscreen than GTA01-03 - it
> would be great if GTA04 could have bigger display - wide screen 3,5" with
> something like 480x800 display resolution. It's now really needed for
> devices with touchscreen which display on-screen keyboard.
>
> The last thing - will GTA04 have TV-out support? It would be very
> usefull, too.
>
> With Regards,
> Tomasz Czapiewski

I dont know somehow nobody wants to discuss this. I also feel that
OMAP 3530 is far better choice.
I can only guess : 3530 is using imagination graphics core, dont know
about the 6410 one what they
use. May be Samsung is ready to give more freedom to OM in that area.
Imagination is in no mood to release a
full kernel driver. Just like other players they will give binary
userspace drivers with small opensource kernel space
counterpart.
But I had read at beagle board that even without the proprietary
driver for linux which doesnt exist as yet. the graphics
performance is impressive. Moreover ARM claims that Cortex can do as
much as 30% more work for same amount of power
as ARM 11(6410).

It would be great if they go for 3530. Anyway there will be a
completely open source stuff out there. that wont be as good as
imagination's proprietary. But still better than 6410. TI seems to be
really serious about beagleboard.