GSM-noise "buzz" issue

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Fri Sep 19 20:35:36 CEST 2008

Am Do  18. September 2008 schrieb Uwe Klein:
> On 9/18/08, Torsten Sievers <openmoko at torsten-sievers.de> wrote:
>

> >  @Jörg: where does your european lab sits? Does it help that i send you my
FR
> >  with my german sim-card and the buzz-issue ?
Thanks, but I tried all kinds of SIM-cards. I'm just located at an urban
environment, where obviously even E1 improved their network during the last
few years to a point I simply can't get noise. I already explained buzz is
dependent on network, not on particular device or SIM.

> (My freerunner doesn't seem to have this problem).
> I have access to a "reasonably" well instrumented lab near Goettingen.
> ( We do remote sensing microwave spectrometers / digital backends )
>
> I would be willing to spend a couple of hours for gettting some information
> out of this.

Well, setting up a recording path from handset mic via arecord and ssh to
outside (=PC, aplay), so you actually can "hear" (and analyze) the buzz, and
then shoot some 800~1900MHz on device under test, to get an idea of actual
sensitivity to EMI, this might help a lot.
A second plot showing all the radiation peaks of FR itself also would be
interesting (not for buzz issue though, but maybe for GPS, and recamping)

cheers
jOERG