GSM-noise "buzz" issue

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Sep 20 22:31:29 CEST 2008

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> CMU200, I also very likely would know more about exact parameters of call
> setup that produce noise. (@Wolfgang: Werner and Graeme think I should try to
> get a CMU200, urgently)

Yup. If it's just a signal that's picked up by an involutary antenna,
then any RF signal source would do, and they can't be all that
expensive to build (though lab equipment that can send with ~ 30 dBm
at 1-2GHz costs a small fortune).

But if it's something more complex, such as the GSM module contaminating
GND itself, then you'll have to be able to do proper GSM signaling in
order to be able to reliably reproduce the problem.

(BTW, I also don't get the buzz in Argentina, where GSM uses the
1900MHz band.)

- Werner