GSM-noise "buzz" issue

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Mon Sep 22 01:33:59 CEST 2008

[oops, sorry for delayed post]
Am So  21. September 2008 schrieb Werner Almesberger:
> Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> > Clock-harmonics and the like are a completely different story, and also
the
> > clock frequency itself could create noise if a clocked component is placed
> > inside audio can, not only it's harmonics.
>
> Yes, that's what I meant: noise we generate in the CPU can sneaking
> out and, say, hitting GPS. Given the current poor RF design, this is
> probably already happening, it's just not bad enough that it would
> lead to something clearly visible as a failure.
ACK

> We could actually test this: rework a device such that only GPS is
> powered and communicate with GPS
[editor: create a link from a GPS-app on an auxiliary device to chipset on
DUT]

> from a remote system (over a
> properly exorcised cable). Then compare the performance between this
> system and a regular device.
...in a way I mentioned xx times, named A/B-double-blind test

> Ah, so many ideas, so little time ... and so few devices to
> slaughter ;-)
>
> - Werner

a brilliant idea, even better than (or as good as) doing a plot of emitted
(rogue) frequencies in a RF-clean room (Faraday-room), in the range from 1MHz
to 2500. (exactly what I recently asked a German guy to do, in one of my last
msgs ;).
Werner, we're not short on devices to gain decent results (the type of results
we couldn't gain knowledge about from simple reading of ABS.MAX.Ratings in
datasheets). Argentina customs is a different issue.
Tell me what you like to do exactly and I'll see whether I can set up a test
environment :-). Actually got some spare devices.

cheers
jOERG