Bug #1024 (oscillating re-camping), the story goes on...

Dieter Spaar spaar at openmoko.org
Sun Apr 5 20:11:57 CEST 2009

Hello all (or should I say the few who follow this thread ;-),

Some more experiments: I was able to force re-camping by
detuning the 32 kHz oscillator. I used a hot air gun (low
temperature) and heated the open GSM modem for about
one second when it was receiving the PCH. With the test
network I get the same results as if I  detune the timing
of the BTS and with a real network I get a lost signal
and re-registration (most certainly the difference comes
from the fact that I don't have the encryption option for
the HP8922 and so no authentication is required to
register to the test network).

Still not an evidence, but some tendency in the direction
of oscillator instability/interference problems as the
reason for bug #1024. Sure, the short heating could
also influence other parts but the traces show the
same behavior as the one real #1024 trace I have,
also the TOA values change so the heating most
certainly does not just change for example the RF
gain only.

Best regards,
  Dieter