Bug #1024 (oscillating re-camping), the story goes on...

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Mon Apr 6 05:39:11 CEST 2009

Am Mo  6. April 2009 schrieb Werner Almesberger:
> Dieter Spaar wrote:
> > Some more experiments: I was able to force re-camping by
> > detuning the 32 kHz oscillator.
>
> Great ! The bug must get worried about finding new hiding
> places :-)
>
> > (most certainly the difference comes
> > from the fact that I don't have the encryption option for
> > the HP8922 and so no authentication is required to
> > register to the test network).
>
> What happens if you register to a "normal" network (with
> authentication and all that) and then detune the oscillator ?

<quote>and with a real network I get a lost signal
and re-registration</quote>

Dieter, could you heat he xtal only, e.g using an iron?
What's going to happen when you heat a 100k-fixed device(-xtal)?
Maybe you also find a way to apply 32kHz mechanical ("audio") to pcb by using
a piezo(-speaker) and a soundcard/lab-oscillator.
Another interesting test would include ice-spray which should detune the xtal
same way like heat, but shouldn't have a similar effect like heat on silicon
/j