cpu usage way too high (?)

Daniel Spies daniel.spies at fuceekay.com
Sun Feb 1 16:08:25 CET 2009

Hello,

I must admit that I am not that deep into hardware. I hope someone could
explain me why things are like this. For example if I do "apt-get update" I
have 100% cpu usage until it's done. Upgrade does the same.

Recently I tried to play a .ogg file for the first time (also .mp3) and am
really confused about the cpu usage again. I tried to play it in vlc, but this
doesn't work at all. Playing in alsaplayer is nearly impossible, the song
laggs like hell. Only in mplayer (console version) I can listen to the song.
But if I do anything else, like moving a window or opending any application,
writing in xterm make the sound stop or lag. I can see the cpu usage is at
100% all the time...

So what my problem is: I used my old 433Mhz (33Mhz more than FR) Celeron with
128MiB (same as FR) of RAM listening to music, playing games, downloading and
much more all at the same time and didn't have such lags. So what makes the
Freerunner this unresponsive and slow when doing easy tasks?

Thank you for enlightening me. :)

BTW: I'm using Debian with lxde from the install.sh, but with ext3 and a 1GB
(*g*) swap partition on a 8GB (Class6) SD Card (and Qi).

Best regards,
Daniel