Weird hardware mod ???

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at sygehus.dk
Mon Feb 2 02:22:50 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:29:23AM +0100, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
>    2) Add an internal USB hub, reroute BT D+/D- through the hub, connect camera
> D+/D- to the hub. Think of more USB devices to include while we're at it. ;-)

   a) An extra card reader. When I bought an 8 GB micro-SD card, it came
with a small USB micro-SD and M2 card reader. 28 mm x 11 mm x 4 mm. It may
be possible to find a shorter card reader without M2 connector. Preferably
one that runs on 3.3 V. Placement: Facing towards the unused space in the
battery compartment, so it is both reasonably protected and not too
difficult to get to. This means either where the IDBG was supposed to go or
over the USB connector and power button.

   b) A second external USB port. Werner managed to cram a connector in.
Add a step-up converter for 5 V supply. Perhaps 100 mA only to keep it small
and not overload the battery.

   A separate connector for power supply + FET connected as per the PCF50633
manual, so the USB port is available even when charging.

>    Cons of the USB way: Lack of a camera suitable for USB 1.1. I have yet to
> find one that does more than 800x600 compressed or 176x144 uncompressed.

   Strictly speaking, I _do_ have one that does 352x288 uncompressed, but
the image quality isn't very good. But hey, it was thrown at me (or at
least in my general direction). :-) It's an MT-400 according to the box,
'0c45:6029 Microdia Triplex i-mini PC Camera' according to lsusb.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen