Power leakage: save 40mW by turning GSM on

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Tue Feb 3 13:49:18 CET 2009

| Hi Werner,
| I just wanted to congratulate you on your work.  As we both know, those
| detailed current measurements should have been done years ago.  Good to
| see they finally get done.

I do not think what Werner reported here is completely typical... he
seems to have something eating a great deal of current all the time.

We spent many days here and in Taipei before GTA02 went out doing much
more detailed current measurements than this, including pulling the 0Rs
in the power tree out and measuring the individual paths.

| Since GTA03 is still early, it would probably be good to buid an automated
| testsuite for it.  Everything can run self-contained on the device itself,
| the coulomb counter is used as current meter.
| This way it would be good to test for regressions in every hardware
| version, and even users at some point could check if their device behaves
| somehow abnormal with regard to power consumption.
| Might even be something that could be used at least for a few measurements
| by production testing.

Yes this has been discussed several times in the past and isn't forgotten.

- -Andy

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)